Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Selection - A Review

Image Credit:Amazon.com
Over the weekend, on a whim, I downloaded the audiobook version of Kiera Cass's The Selection. I had a lot of chores to get done and I wanted something light yet engaging to listen to while working around the house and this seemed to fit the bill perfectly.  The Selection is a wonderfully predictable poor girl meets rich prince and falls in love story.  But wait! In typical YA fashion we throw a love triangle into the mix, along with familial obligation and an opportunity to earn money for your poor family and we have The Selection.

I highly recommend this book! I ate it up and even gave it 5/5 stars on Goodreads because I enjoyed it so much.



I listened to all 8 hours of the audiobook in a row because I could not get enough of America's story and what would happen next.  I found myself enraged at some of the decisions America made, the blindness to Maxon's affections towards her and the cruelty of the other girls involved in the hunt for Maxon's hand in marriage.  I haven't been emotionally connected to a book like this in a very long time, even though the premise is silly and conventional overdone in YA.

This is not the most well written, complex, or through provoking book that I had ever read.  But it was an all around good time and I already have the second book in the series, The Elite, waiting for me on my kindle.  I sometimes feel guilty about reading YA books because they aren't widely critically acclaimed or because my colleagues and friends would frown if I recommended them.  However. reading is my hobby and hobby should be fun.  I haven't had so much fun with a book in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment